Friday, December 3, 2010

Chili in the Forecast

Thanksgiving has now come and gone and one would think that I would be leaving all thoughts of turkey behind me but that just is not possible. Two words, two ways, will sum it up:
"Deer Valley"  --  "Turkey Chili"

Oh, and "Yum Yum!"

The mountain opens this weekend and I am off to ski, celebrate and eat turkey chili at the 19th Annual Deer Valley Celebrity Skifest. You can tune in to watch this Sunday, Dec. 5th, either right before or right after the NFL game on CBS; check your local listings. ( Disclosure: Yes, this is my husband's show and yes, this should be considered a plug.) But also know that aside from all the fun, festivity and fabulous skiing (due to the early dumping of luscious snow), there is a charitable component to the weekend benefiting Waterkeeper Alliance. Check it out.

Now, back to the turkey chili. Deer Valley has the best food on any ski mountain in the US that I have been to and their turkey chili is tops! One can try to make it at home too -  there is a mix and what could be easier especially this busy time of year.




Photos above are from Skifest 2009 - this year's photos will follow.

And, since there was an inquiry, here are some of my tips for airplane travel (which I seem to do a lot of):

I wear comfortable, layered, usually black or other dark clothing. There is nothing worse than being uncomfortable at 30,000 feet up due to your clothing selection. The seating is uncomfortable enough. I am not getting any larger but I have more space in the lavatory on the plane than at my seat. Note that while I want to be as comfortable as possible, I don't need to look like a slob. I love the bygone era when people actually dressed up for their flights;

I bring a folder with my flight/ticket info, car rental or ground transportation, other confirmations (dinners, baggage, etc), places or things I might want to do when I get to where I am going - everything is organized and in one place. I can review it during the flight if I need to and I have it with me;

Wear or bring socks/peds for "going through security " - why would I want to touch the dirty floor with my feet when I have to take my shoes off;

I pack little roll up flats for the flight - more comfortable than high heels or boots for extended travel and, should my feet swell from the air pressure, I don't have to stress that I can't get my shoes back on before I can walk off the plane;

Yes, I usually pack extra clothes in my carry on just in case my checked luggage (and I ALWAYS check luggage) doesn't make it to the destination with me;

I have a zip lock bag with all my liquid essentials always packed so I never have to rethink it and it is ready to go on short notice. I routinely check it to make sure I don't need to replace any items;

I always travel with pain relief medicine as I don't want to take up time looking for a drug store;

I don't wear lots of big jewelry and or belts that have to be removed while going through security - although I tend to wear a chunky watch which I just routinely take off and put in my purse so I don't set off any machines or have to walk through again;

We all know by now, remove your computer from its case. But also know that some airports want your iPad separated too so I just do that without being asked - why invite delay?;

Pack a large wrap or scarf or travel blanket - it can get cold on planes and it can also serve as a pillow (I have a neck roll as well but it takes up a lot of space);

Download any movies or TV shows at least a day before so you are not disappointed when you realize you wanted to watch the latest episodes of Glee or Keeping Up With the Kardasians (a guilty pleasure that I seem to share with a lot of people) an hour before you have to leave the house;

Gum, mints, snacks;

And, finally, I always have headphones and sunglasses with me. They are essential to ward off chatty seat mates* or the glare from window shades that won't close.

*My daughter told me that she can still tell if my eyes are open from the side.

All of the above is now second nature to me so there really is no hassle.

Happy and easy travels to all!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jackie! Hope you have a fabulous weekend and thank you for the card!!

    ReplyDelete