Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"I'll Be There With Bells On!"

Who says that? And why? Well, me on occasion. And, on the last occasion (please don't fear, I don't really say this often) what I actually said/wrote was: "All righty. I'll be there with bells on!" Awaiting further response, what I got was a suggestion as to the origin of this phrase and the added thought that I might blog about it. Well, I always like a good suggestion so hear we go.

General Meaning: Eager; ready to participate and enjoy.

The phrase is typically used in reply to a party invitation to indicate one's enthusiasm about attending. Additionally, the use of 'I'll be there with bells on" implies not only that one is looking forward to the festivities but also that one will contribute to the festivities and everyone's enjoyment.

Some say that the phrase originated in the late 19th/early 20th centuries; most early citations suggest a US origin. Various suggested origins are:
- Prior to the days of the automobile, people decked out the harnesses of their horses with bells when setting off for parties and galas, parades and the like;
- During the settlement of Pennsylvania and other eastern states, immigrants traveled by large sturdy wooden carts or wagons. A team of horses whose harnesses were outfitted with bells drew the wagons. If a wagon got into trouble, got stuck, then a rescuer was often rewarded with the horses bells. If you arrived at your destination without your bells on, it was quite an embarrassment; arriving with your bells still on was a source of pride.
- Some mention the court jester and his hat with all the bells- it is of course the jester's job to be entertaining. But this screws up the US origin theory a bit.

One of the first records of the phrase found in print (maybe the first) is in F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1922 novel, The Beautiful and the Damned:

"All-ll-ll righty. I'll be there with bells!" And, the character was carrying 12 phonographs with her when she remarked this near same phrase. Sounds like she was "adding to the party and everyone's enjoyment."

Think about the following for your next response card:


M______________________________


__________ All- ll - ll righty - will be there with bells on!


_________ Sorry, lost the bells - can't make it.


And, Marcie Beth, I hope I contributed a bit to the festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment