Friday, July 30, 2010

Go Bears

"Go Bears."

What has, for many years, simply been a salute and cheer to my Alma Mata, UC Berkeley (Cal Bears) is now all about the Grizzly Bear. I will soon be hiking in Glacier National Park with my family. The recent news of an attack in Yellowstone National Park and my dinner last week with friends who encountered a Grizzly several years ago on their hiking trip (well, She did; He got the news as She went running by him on her way back down the trail) has me thinking more about this mighty and awe inspiring animal - and how to avoid it. So, I will follow all the suggestions about hiking in the Park and keeping safe from the Grizzly. You can be sure I will be carrying bear spray - sold at the gift shop in the Lodge, we will hike with a Guide, I will not spray myself with my daily shot of Scent of Peace, we will not eat along the way and we will be sure to make noise. Not so much noise that it will take away from the setting and all of the expected beauty or get us nasty looks from other hikers. And it will be natural noise, not the jingle of bells that I read about. Our noisemaker will be chatter, most likely constant. Meet my daughter. Did I mention that she loves to talk? I just hope the scenery doesn't make her speechless.*


*This is a serious matter and we will of course take all appropriate precautions.

No comments:

Post a Comment