Friday, June 25, 2010

My Girlfriend is an Astronaut (Well, soon)

My friend wants to be an astronaut and when she sets her mind to something, it happens. Already she jumps out of planes, off cliffs and globe rides. FYI - globe riding (v.) is defined as " the sport of rolling down a hill inside an inflatable ball" and, here in the USA, you too can experience life inside a Zorb globe at a place near Dollywood. Note to all my family and friends, I am happy to support her in this endeavor but from the ground - no way am I signing up for a girls' weekend of space adventures in zero gravity. I like my food staying right where it is.

So, our post dinner conversation brought us to discussion of this oh so impressively high aspiration and I am thinking (1) my goals are not quite as lofty, and (2) she should document her time up in there, but will she be able to write while in zero gravity? What kind of paper will she write on? What about the pen? Will it work up there? Will it explode? I seem to recall hearing something about a space pen while watching a Seinfeld episode years back. So, after a simple Google search, I located the original space pen - the one used by NASA in every manned mission since Apollo 7 in 1969. So, when she graduates, she will be getting an original space pen - engraved of course.

By the way, it may be a bit premature, but we are already planning her Astronaut business card; it will include her name and say ASTRONAUT, but we are not sure what to do about the contact info.

Single "over the moon" letterpress card with patterned envelope above is $4 by Smock. Great for congrats, love or other remarkable sentiments. Also available in sets. Other space motif items also available. Contact me via email: jackie@orrganics.com if interested.

1 comment:

  1. We all know this friend will somehow overcome zero gravity. She will document this trip for all of us to live vicariously through her. Kudos to her.

    ReplyDelete